Powerful Writing Structures
Brain pocket strategies for supporting a year-long writing program
EDUCATION / Professional Development
Feb 06, 2020
8.38 x 10.88 x 0.5 in | 546 gr
Thinking strategies for supporting a year-long writing program.
This timely book uses thinking structures to deepen student writing. It revolves around “brain pockets” to help students appreciate the qualities of different writing forms. Some powerful examples include memory pockets for personal narrative writing, fact pockets for nonfiction, and imagination pockets for story writing. Detailed lesson plans are featured along with sample anchor books and book lists. Based on extensive classroom testing, student samples throughout the book illustrate this unique approach to teaching writing. Suggestions for setting up an effective writing program and assessment tips for guiding instruction complete this comprehensive approach to developing a year-long writing program.
Key Selling Points
- Powerful Writing Structures details how to set up an effective writing program that focuses on process rather than product.
- Includes detailed lessons that focus on personal narrative, nonfiction and story writing.
- With book lists of the best children’s books to anchor, support and extend lessons, student examples help illustrate how the strategies work in real classrooms.
- The author has written seven best-selling books on thinking approaches to teaching reading, writing and inquiry.
- Adrienne Gear has an international following, speaks at major conferences, and her books have been translated into French, Swedish, Danish and Chinese.