Freewriting with Purpose
Simple classroom techniques to help students make connections, think critically, and construct meaning
EDUCATION / Professional Development
Jan 23, 2019
8.38 x 10.88 x 0.37 in | 402 gr
Freewriting will revolutionize your writing program by helping students embrace creativity, gain confidence, and, most importantly, find joy in writing.
In freewriting, we write continuously: we begin with a prompt and keep our pen or pencil moving throughout the entire duration. We do not stop to question or censor ourselves; we do not concern ourselves with spelling, punctuation, capitalization, or grammar; we do not let critical thoughts creep into our freewriting time. The book shows teachers how to use freewriting to help kids write well and more, regardless of grade level, subject, time of day, or time of year. It is not a difficult process to implement and yet it makes a significant difference in teacher attitudes, student confidence, and, ultimately, student writing abilities.
Key Selling Points
- A step-by-step process for starting freewriting with students at all levels of ability.
- Explores using mentor texts to improve the quality of student writing.
- Includes sample prompts for freewriting and up-to-date booklists of excellent mentor texts.
- Details how freewriting can be used not just in language arts, but in all curriculum subjects.
- Author Karen Filewych has appeared on Edmonton CTV’s Morning Live, discussing issues around reading, writing, and parentin.