Imprint:McClelland & Stewart
Audience:General / adult
Dimensions:7.99in x 5.19 x 1.03 in | 0.78 lb
Page Count:376 pages
• HIT BOOK SERIES: Over the last 25 years, in Canada, the series has sold over 60,000 copies across all formats and seven books. Except the Dying has sold over 15,000 copies. In 2017, Jennings released Let Darkness Bury the Dead, a new instalment with an older and wiser Detective Murdoch, to great critical acclaim and fan adoration.
• BELOVED TV SERIES: Officially renewed for its 15th season (with 24 episodes), The Murdoch Mysteries series has been loved by fans for years and shows no signs of slowing down.
• AWARD-WINNING BOOK: Except the Dying won the Heritage Toronto Certificate of Commendation in 1998 and was shortlisted for the Anthony and the Arthur Ellis Best First Novel Awards.
• ACTIVE AUTHOR: Maureen Jennings continues to write for both the Murdoch TV series as well as new book series. She’s currently working on a series featuring Christine Morris.
• ANNIVERSARY REISSUE: 25 years after its first publication, Except the Dying is getting a new and updated look.
Shortlisted for an Arthur Ellis Award
“No author has mined Toronto’s past with the dedication to detail of mystery writer Maureen Jennings.”
– Toronto Star
“A chiller…impressive. An engaging historical mystery.”
– Houston Chronicle
– Philadelphia Inquirer
“A first novel enriched by the vividness of its period settings and animated by the lifelike characters caught up in its broad social sweep.”
– New York Times
“Jennings creates more than a period mystery. She brings alive 1895 Toronto.”
– Publishers Weekly
“A winner. Provocative…finely flavored, credible, and detailed.”
– Library Journal
“Terrific…the best historical mystery of the year…. Murdoch is a fine creation…. We can’t wait to meet him again.”
– Mystery Collector’s BookLine