Rails Over the Mountains
Exploring the Railway Heritage of Canada's Western Mountains
TRANSPORTATION / Railroads / History
Jul 09, 2016
8 x 8 x 1 in | 320 gr
Journey through the engineering marvels, stations, and heritage sites of Canada’s western mountains.
Ride the rails through Canada’s western mountains to explore the many vestiges of the region’s spectacular and surprising railway heritage. Here is where grand railway hotels were built to attract tourists to the West’s beautiful scenery and bring profit to the railway lines as well. Rustic stations added to the allure. The challenges of conquering the mountains resulted in some of Canada’s most ingenious feats of engineering, such as spiral tunnels and soaring trestles (one of which was featured in The Amazing Race Canada).
Relive the days of rail on a steam train, the luxurious Rocky Mountaineer, or one of VIA Rail’s mountain journeys. Outdoor enthusiasts can follow the abandoned roadbeds of Canada’s more spectacular rail trails, like the legendary Kettle Valley Railway. Also included are some of Canada’s most extensive railway museums, which have helped to bring this vanished era back to life.
- Author's books on Canadian railways have sold over 13,000 copies
- Will fit into the growing trend to luxury rail travel (Rocky Mountaineer and VIA’s Canadian)
- First book to take a comprehensive look at the variety of railway attractions throughout Canada’s western mountains
- Rail trail enthusiasts can visit the mountain rail trails such as the Kettle Valley Rail Trails, which will also appeal to adventure-seekers, cyclists, and hikers
- Railway buffs will pick up on the many railway museums and feats of engineering such as high trestles and unusual mountain tunnels
- A key part of travel to BC with its various other attractions
- History buffs will welcome the opportunity to see and visit one of Canada’s most important chapters, the rail link to the Pacific, which brought BC into confederation
- Stories of the challenges facing those who promoted and built the railways